ST. LUKE CEDAR HILL ANGLICAN CHURCH
St. Luke’s churchyard is the resting place of many of the early families of the Cedar Hill area in Saanich and dates back to the beginning of the Parish of St. Luke Cedar Hill. In 1861, Anthony Elliott gave St. Luke’s seven acres of land, including one acre for the church and cemetery.
Records indicate that the churchyard was soon enclosed by a wooden fence. However, it proved difficult to keep the fence in place because of the shallowness of the soil and the fence was later replaced by a stone wall.
The first recorded interment in the churchyard took place in 1886, although it seems likely that parishioners had been buried there in the twenty-five years prior. The churchyard was consecrated for Christian burials in 1892. An extra lot was added in 1929, with a consecration that year. In 1942, the churchyard was extended and the new section consecrated.
In 1933 the graveyards paths were paved and the headstones laid flat. Although burials took place in the early years, in recent years there has only been room for the interment of cremated remains. In 2003 and 2004, nearly 60 more plots for ashes were established, mainly at the north end of the graveyard. To improve the safety in graveyard, several trees were removed or trimmed in 2007.
Over the years, donations have been made for the maintenance of the graveyard and a separate fund has been established to be used as a perpetual care fund. St. Luke’s Cemetery Committee oversees the maintenance and upkeep of the graveyard. In the spring and summer, monthly cleanups take place on Saturday mornings where volunteers donate several hours to weed the graveyard and clean the graves and headstones. Please watch for details of the cleanup mornings on the St. Luke Cedar Hill Anglican Church website.
Volunteers from the community are always welcome. The group usually stops partway through the morning for refreshments and a time to chat. For more information about St. Luke Cedar Hill Anglican Church or its churchyard, please contact the church office.
|St. Luke’s Anglican Church
3821 Cedar Hill Cross Road
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada V8P 2M6
|Phone: 250-477-6741 | Fax: 250-477-6749|
Meadowlark Memorials has completed many Restoration and Preservation projects in St. Luke Cedar Hill Anglican churchyard. For more information about our gravestone preservation services, please contact us.